Sunday, May 31, 2009

Stating The Obvious...

Everyone knows men and women are different in countless ways.  Thousands of books have been written about the subject... and frankly, I'm not sure why.  Why is it necessary for us to completely understand the opposite gender?  Why is it necessary for it to be explained why I think Monty Python is funny and my wife doesn't crack a smile?  Why do I need to understand why my wife loves a pedicure and, when given the opportunity to get one, I found it odd to have someone messing with my feet for 40 minutes?  Do we care why a Cosmo is a girlie drink and why men, for the most part, drink beer?

I think people trying so damn hard to explain and understand our differences is more about selling books than fixing problems.  We're different and we need to deal with it... I'm never going to find it important to check the thread count on sheets and my wife will never go ice fishing with me.  If these are deal breakers, we have a problem.  

Below is an outtake from a shoot I recently did for a resort in the Bahamas.  It illustrates my point better than words ever could.  I picked up a couple great Cuban cigars for this shot... look at the male and female reactions to the same experience.  

In short, I say embrace the differences.  I, for one, am very happy my wife doesn't drop the "F" bomb as much as I do... or wear ripped t-shirts... or have to shave her back.  And if I had to guess, my wife is pretty happy I don't cry at movies or watch Oprah.  She has girlfriends for those things. 

No comments: